Do I need a RPA (Radiation Protection Adviser)

Under the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17), in practically all circumstances there is a legal requirement to at least consult with an RPA in respect of working with ionising radiations (be that electrically generated x-rays or radioactive materials). Radioactive materials will include work with substances that are considered naturally occurring (mineral sands, ceramics based on zircon sand and similar).

In most cases there is a requirement to make that consultation more formal. For large organisations like the Nuclear Industry, the RPA is likely to be ‘in-house’. For smaller organisations, or larger organisations where work with ionising radiation only forms a small part of the business, it is more likely that the RPA will be appointed externally – normal under contract.

A useful test is this: if you need to register your radiation work with HSE, or apply for a consent (for higher risk radiation sources), then you will need a Radiation Protection Adviser. Some useful resource can be found at the following HSE page: Notify, register or consent (HSE). Some additional HSE guidance on the application process can be found here: Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 - Guidance for Notifications, Registrations and Consents (HSE) (will open as a PDF).

Do you need a Radiation Protection Adviser for your company? Visit our RPA service page.

There are children playing in the street who could solve some of my top problems in physics, because they have modes of sensory perception that I lost long ago.

– J. Robert Oppenheimer -