Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) services

Our Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) services are available to all sectors of industry, medicine, research, security, and teaching, covering all sources of ionising radiation in the workplace. Formal advice and the appointment of the RPA is a requirement of the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17).

Radioactive Waste Adviser (RWA) services are also available for compliance with the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2016 and the Environmental Authorisations (Scotland) Regulations 2018 in Scotland.

For the rest of the world, Ionactive provides a Qualified Expert (QE) service in radiation safety. Contact us directly to discuss specific requirements.

Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) services are required for:

  • Determining requirements for Controlled and Supervised designated areas.
  • Prior examination of plans for installation (and acceptance into service) of new or modified sources of ionising radiation.
  • Calibration of radiation monitoring equipment.
  • Periodic examination and testing of engineering controls, design features, warning features and provided to restrict exposure to ionising radiation.
  • Radiation risk assessments.
  • Local rules.
  • Investigation of incidents and accidents involving ionising radiation
  • Contingency plans and arrangements (including development and practice)
  • Advice on all other aspects of IRR17 (as required).

With very few exceptions, you will need to appoint a Radiation Protection Adviser where:

  • You keep and use one or more sealed radioactive sources
  • You use unsealed radioactive material and / or accumulate and dispose of radioactive waste
  • You operate a radiation generator (e.g. x-ray machine, accelerator or similar device)

Many of the terms above will be found fully explained in our radiation protection glossary.

Where you hold radioactive material or produce radioactive waste, the following matters will need to be considered by the RWA.

Radioactive Waste Adviser (RWA) services are required for:

  • Best available techniques (BAT) for achieving and maintaining an optimal level of protection of the environment and the population.
  • Prior assessment and use of abatement technologies to protect the environment.
  • Application, review, and revocation of environmental permits.
  • Environmental radiological discharge assessments.
  • Radioactive source security (including High Activity Sealed Sources (HASS).
  • Determining if the work meets exemption or out of scope criteria.
  • Advice on all other aspects of environmental legislation (as appropriate).

We have produced guidance that explains how radioactive substances are regulated in the UK: UK Environmental Permitting Regulations (radioactive material and waste).

Not quite sure what you need yet? Read our IRR17 legislation guidance resource, or consult our technical guidance on the requirements of the RPA and role of the RPS. If you need to consult a Radioactive Waste Adviser (RWA), then head over to our Environmental Permitting Regulations (radioactive material and waste) guide. 

Adviser Services 01

Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) services enquiry form

To make an enquiry regarding Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) services, please complete this form.

Form protected by Google recaptcha.

What people think of Ionactive’s Radiation Protection Adviser (RPA) services

Sincere thanks, Mark, for the energy, enthusiasm, and, excellent, training, given to my site teams, for two very different decommissioning projects. The assistance and guidance, provided, through RA requirements, and your pragmatic RPA technical support, for both challenging projects – fume filter plant decommissioning and overall site decontamination, was central to the complete success achieved, against reasonable expectations.

– Peter Williams – Project Manager -