Accessibility Information and Accesskeys | Skip navigation

Radiation Safety Advice - Do I need a RPA? Do I need Local Rules or a RPS?

Do I need a RPA (Radiation Protection Adviser)

Under the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17), in practically all circumstances there is a legal requirement to at least consult with a RPA in respect of working with ionising radiations (be that electrically generated x-rays or radioactive materials).  Radioactive materials will include work with substances that are considered naturally occurring (mineral sands, ceramics based on zircon sand and similar).

In most cases there is a requirement to make that consultation more formal. For large organisations like the Nuclear Industry the RPA is likely to be ‘in-house’. For smaller organisations, or larger organisations where work with ionising radiation only forms a small part of the business, it is more likely that the RPA will be appointed externally – normal under contract.

Further Information

The Ionactive RPA Service is detailed on our RPA Services pages.

Back to previous page